Friday, January 4, 2008

Painting is Dead

Last night I was watching a show on the HD gallery channel and an art critic of sorts named Barbara Pollack told someone that painting was dead. I've been thinking about that a lot since I heard her say it and I surely hope it's not true. I do think that our culture is totally saturated with images and our attention spans are extremely short. However, when I try to imagine my life without paint and painting and paintings it seems preposterous to think that painting is dead. If at least one person keeps it alive, it's not dead. Maybe she was thinking that people are blase about paintings now because there are so many artists painting now. This is true, but people will always have blank walls and a need to add color, beauty and interest to their personal spaces. I wonder if hanging monitors on our walls will some day take the place of hanging paintings. You would have art that projects slide shows of art like on a screen saver. But then we would be missing the tactile experience of running our hands over the painting surface and watching how the light plays on the paintings in different ways throughout the day. I'd love to hear your comments.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Maybe monitors will be the new Elvises on Black Velvet, but they'll never replace art.

It's like, just because Adobe came along and nearly anyone can learn to use photoshop or pagemaker, doesn't make those users Josef Müller-Brockmann or Jan Tschichold or or even Giambattista Bodoni.

Not everyone with a Nikon D-200 is an Ansel Adams.

And what man would have married Xaviera Hollander, for that matter?

(Philip de Haan doesn't count. He's a child, I tell you! An innocent child!)

What, besides sex, did she have to offer?